THE PILGRIM HOUSE
The spiritual and cultural center for pilgrims
The pilgrim house Velehrad is situated in the center of Rome near Vatican. It is about 15 minutesʼ walk to St. Peterʼs Square. Near the house there is a train station, from where it is possible to travel to surroundings comfortably, e.g. to the sea or to Castel Gandolfo. It is about 15 minutesʼ walk to Gianicolo hill, from where there is a nice view to the city. The same distance is to the Public Park of Villa Doria Pamphili.
Representative offices of Czech Republic
Vatikan City State | Italy
Czech houses in Italy
Centro Aletti | Nepomucenum | Velehrad Pastoral House
Weather | Other weather website | Maps
History of the city | Vatican museums | Webcams | Virtual tour of Rome
Saint Peter’ s Basilica | Saint Paul’ s Outside-the-Walls
If you go from the south or from the north down the motorway A1, go up to G.R.A. (Grande Raccordo Anulare; ring road). If you go from the south from Naples, go clockwise. If you go from Firenze go against clockwise.
Go up to slip road nr. 1 (USCITA 1) and follow the direction of Citta del Vaticano. Go straight ahead about 3 kilometres along Via Aurelia in the direction of Center – on the right side you are passing Aurelia railway station. Go under the subway to Panorama department store. There is so called American church after one kilometre and after another kilometre there is a crossroad. In front of the crossroad there is a police school, a market place (Irnerio) and a department store on the right side.
Turn right on the crossroad. Go straight ahead and turn left at the second traffic lights. Go down to Pius XI. square and then go on to Gregorio VII. street.
The street guides you to the railway underpass. There are traffic lights right after the underpass (you could see Saint Peterʼs Basilica from far away). Turn right and go along the police station (Carabinieri), the bus station (bus nr. 64), San Pietro railway station. Go straight ahead and turn right on the crossroad to Via delle Fornaci. After 50 meters there is Velehrad pilgrim house (nr. 200) on the right side.
There are several opportunities how to get from Fiumicino airport to Velehrad. You can take a taxi (the fixed price is 48 €). You can also use Leonardo express train (the price is 14 €) that takes you directly to Termini station. You have to buy the public transport ticket (1,50 €) here. (See „Way from Termini railway station“).
We recommend you to use the city train (FR1) from Fiumicino international airport. The train goes through these stations: Parco Leonardo (shopping centre), Nuova Fiera di Roma (fairs and exhibitions), Ponte Galeria, Muratella, Magliana, Villa Bonelli and Trastevere. You have to change the train at the station Trastevere. Here, take a train which goes to the following destinations:
Cesano, Viterbo, Bracciano (FR3) or Civitavecchia, Grosseto (FR5). Get off at station called “San Pietro”. It is the next stop from Trastevere (however, some train can stop at station called “Quattro Venti”, which is in a railway tunnel. In this case the station San Pietro is the second station from Trastevere). The price of the ticket from Fiumicino to San Pietro is 8 €. The ticket must be validated before boarding the train.
In San Pietro station follow instruction “Way from San Pietro station to Velehrad”.
Map of the city transport you can find here http://www.atac.roma.it/docunet/file.asp?mid=3&rid=4
Website of Fiumicino international airport www.adr.it/fiumicino.
There are several opportunities how to get from Ciampino airport to Velehrad:
1) You can take a taxi (the fixed price is 30 €).
2) You can take Terravision bus or SitBusShuttle bus that take you to Termini station.
The bus tickets you can buy online or from airport lounge or directly before boarding the bus (if there are free places in the bus). The bus ticket costs about 5 €.
Buy the train ticket to Roma San Pietro station.
1) You can take a train that takes you directly to station called “San Pietro” (the destination of the train is Cesano). San Pietro is the fifth stops (1. Tuscolana, 2. Ostiense, 3. Trastevere, 4. Quattro Venti, 5. San Pietro).
2) Take a train that goes to Fiumicino airport (FR1). The train goes through these stations: Roma Tuscolana, Roma Ostiense, Roma Trastevere. You have to change the train in Roma Trastevere (i.e. 3rd stop). Here, take a train which goes to the following destinations: Cesano, Viterbo, Bracciano (FR3) or Civitavecchia, Grosseto (FR5). Get off at station called “San Pietro”. It is the next stop from Trastevere (however, some train can stop at station called “Quattro Venti”, which is in a railway tunnel. In this case the station San Pietro is the second station from Trastevere). The price of the ticket from Tiburtina to San Pietro is 1 € (train ticket) or 1,50 € (public transport ATAC ticket). The ticket must be validated before boarding the train.
The way from San Pietro Station to Velehrad (see “Way from San Pietro station to Velehrad”).
There are two opportunities how to get to Velehrad:
1) Buy the train ticket to Roma San Pietro station (the train ticket costs 1 €). Find the train which goes to the following destinations (the trains go usually from platform nr. 28):
Cesano, Viterbo, Bracciano (FR3) or Civitavecchia, Grosseto (FR5). Get off at station called “San Pietro”. It is the next stop from Trastevere (however, some train can stop at station called “Quattro Venti”, which is in a railway tunnel. In this case the station San Pietro is the second station from Trastevere).
2) Take public transport bus nr. 64 (platform „H“) and go with the bus to San Pietro – terminal station. The public transport ticket costs 1,50 € and you can buy it from vending machine of from newsstand (marked with „T“ letter).
Go out from the station. On the left side you can see Saint Peterʼs Basilica. On the right side you can see a big building with writing „Venite rondini“. There is our house next to the big building. Go through car park of Carrefour department store. After about 350 meters you come to Via delle Fornaci street. Turn the right and after 50 steps you reach our house. Ring the doorbell and we will come to open.
Public transport in Rome is comprised of trains, three lines of underground, buses, trams and electric buses. The whole public transport in Rome is operated by ATAC company.
The basic ticket (valid for 100 minutes) costs 1,50 €. There are also one day tickets (valid 24 hours from the first validation, the price is 7 €), two days tickets (12,50 €), three days tickets (18 €) and one week tickets (24 €). The public transport tickets must be validated before boarding. You can buy the tickets at the reception of our house for pilgrims.
There are also the special tourist tickets.
There is San Pietro railway station near the house for pilgrims. There is station of public transport bus nr. 64 before the railway station. Bus nr. 64 goes from San Pietro station through the city center to Termini station. In this way it is possible to get easily to basilicas, other churches and sights or to the sea.
For further information see websites of ATAC (in italian only).